Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Day 31

As I woke up, there wasn't a real good game plan as to where I wanted to go next. I was checking my tires daily and it appeared that if I went a lot further that new tires would be in order. I also was going to need a new chain. The speed odometer problem also got worse. From not having a speed reading to the whole dash was blinking off and on. So with that in mind, the decision was to steer back towards the general direction of home. So I decided to run the I-70 west out of Grand Junction. I saddled up and was gone, I-70 is kind of boring leaving Grand Junction, but I made good time and the weather was warm and sunny. I stopped a few times to take pictures and admire the formations in Utah. The sights there are cool and have lots of layered colors. I cruised along all day and did side roads and scenic view turnouts. It was a relaxing day, Every now and again there was some wind, but mostly good cruising. I pulled into the town of Salina, Utah. It was about a 300 mile ride for the day. I took quite a few side roads that added up for the day. As I went into town I decided to look around for a place to stay and didn't want to to the usual motel8, etc right off the Interstate off ramp. So I drove into the older part of town and found the small town main street and all the nice maintained old buildings. I located a hotel just past the red light on the right, it was the "Ranch Motel" located at 80 North State, Salinas, Utah. It was a small, small room but it had all the essentials. The cool thing though was that it was like a flash back to the late 40's or 50's. The walls were plaster and all the corners were rounded, even the ceiling corners. Then the bathroom looked like a time capsule, the fixtures and stuff were mint, in perfect condition. It was a cool place to stay, cheap too. From the outside they looked like small bungalows with a cover over the doors. I would recommend the place, it was clean, nice and quite. After I unpacked, I walked down the block back to the red light and ate dinner at the talk of the town. It was another cool experience, it was also a throwback in time. It looked like a cafe of the 50's. The waitress and staff were super nice and the food was fresh homemade. I had the special "broasted chicken" with mashed potatoes and corn. The chicken was fried, but....in a pressure cooker, it was great! So after I stuffed myself because it was soooo tasty, I went to the room and crashed out. It was a fun day riding and the room/dinner were great. Oh yeah the diner was called "Mom's Cafe" at the corner of State and Main in Salinas. That means at the red light in town, its a big building on the south east corner of the red light in town. Try it out, its good.

Here are some of the pictures for the day.















No comments: