Thursday, October 4, 2007

Day 26

After I awoke and loaded the bike, I figured that it would be smart to eat a late breakfast/ early lunch because I was about to be in the middle of no where. I came across the Mexican diner called Chewy's, I think that is how it was spelled. Anyway it was a place that John Madden stops at when he travels through the area. He said it was in his Hall of Fame places to eat. I ordered the beef gorditas, yuuuummy. The chips and salsa were great, the salsa reminded me of my own. After chowing down, I tightened the chain in the parking lot and asked the waitress to fill my camel-pack with ice and water. It was going to be a hot day and the camel-pack was AWESOME on this trip, no need to pull over to get a drink. I highly recommend it, its a great motorcycle must have. Its funny that you dont realize how sapped of energy you get during the day if you dont drink regularly. OK, so onto riding.....I-10 out of Van Horn is kinda bland, it is neat wide open spaces, but I had my mind set on the Rockies. So I didn't stop to many times, just for gas a few times. I made it to the I-25 and headed north towards Albuquerque, New Mexico. I-25 is a pretty road even though it is Interstate, you see the beginnings of the Rockies and start to get excited. I pulled over on a side to road to.....well you know. I decided to see where the road ran, on the map it appeared to run parallel to I-25. So off I went, and then found a sign that said national park forest. Well it seemed to be a nice dirt road, so what the heck, off I went on this well maintained dirt road. I got caught up in the scenery and went further and further. I think I went about 15 miles off road, haha, I still had a blast. The hill and mountains were what I was seeking and the place was so remote. The lack of sounds was unreal, so peaceful. It made me think about the big cities and the crazy hustle bustle, I need to get to a place such as this, I thought. I always said I would wind up as a mountain man, living in the middle of no where. I enjoyed 2-3 hours on the detour, everything was perfect, the weather, temperature and the lack of civilization. Man I felt recharged. So after not wanting to leave, I almost decided to camp. But I didn't know the coming nights temperature so I decided to rolled into the next small town of Socorro, New Mexico. I picked the cheapo motel in town and had a nice dinner at the next door restaurant. It was a fun day, I rode a total of about 370 miles for the day.

Here are some of the days pictures on and off road..











No comments: